Welcome to the parish website for St. Eugene’s Church. “The Church of Saint Eugene is a community of believers seeking to grow in the faith of Jesus Christ through His Eucharist and by the teachings of the Roman Catholic Church. The Church of Saint Eugene welcomes all God’s people through liturgy, sacraments, outreach to our neighbors in need, and by following the example of Jesus Christ. Through works and actions we strive to meet the spiritual, physical and temporal needs of all generations, especially our young. By encouraging one another, we grow in faith and we demonstrate our life in the Holy Trinity by sharing the Good News of Jesus and by being an active voice in our society. With God’s help, we remain a community united in Faith, Hope and Charity.” Please visit these pages to learn more about our vibrant faith community!
News & Events (click any item to enlarge)
Q: How long does it take to become a priest? This Saturday morning we were blessed in our diocese to have two good men ordained to the priesthood, Fr. Nathan Ricci and Fr. Jorge Rocha. Many people have asked me how long it takes to become a priest. For most men who are called to the Catholic priesthood, it will take 6 to 8 years. Every priest must have a bachelor's degree from an accredited college first, then they must do 4 years of theological studies before they are ordained a priest. Young men who enter seminary right out of high school, or later in life with no college education, must complete all the coursework that is required to earn a bachelor's degree in Philosophy. This usually takes four years. These men are usually referred to as College Seminarians. Men who enter the seminary already having a bachelor's degree, like myself, must take certain courses in Philosophy before they can study Theology, and this usually takes two years. I did my two years of philosophy studies at Providence College while living at Our Lady of Providence Seminary. These men are usually referred to as Pre-Theologians. Once the Philosophy requirements are met, whether coming from pre-theology or from college, the man begins four years of theological studies and is referred to as a Theologian, which I am one now. After four years of studying theology, as well as the spiritual and human formation that goes along with it, a man is typically ordained a priest by the bishop of his diocese.
CONGRATULATIONS to Stephen &
Jennifer Almonte who celebrated the
sacrament of marriage here on June 10. May
God bless you as you begin your new life
Tickets are now on sale for St Eugene’s 2016 20 Week Club
$1,000.00 GRAND PRIZE! 26 DRAWINGS $1,000.00 GRAND PRIZE!
WEEKLY DRAWINGS THROUGH OCTOBER 21ST
Donations for tickets are $60 per person and can be paid at once or as little as $3 per week. Sign up sheets are available at the back of the church. You can sign up and pay by dropping your sign up sheet in the collection basket or mailing to the rectory. Only members who are paid up to date will be eligible for the following:
¨ 20 weekly drawings of $30
¨ Grand Prize drawings of $1,000.00, $200.00, $100.00, $50.00 and $50.00
¨ Dinner Dance on Friday, October 21st at The Village Haven Restaurant in Slatersville featuring a Family Style Chicken Banquet, Cocktail Hour, Disk Jockey, Raffles and cash bar.
The 20 Week Club is an important fund raiser that allows us to continue the wonderful improvements that have been made to our church. Questions, call the rectory at 568-5102.
2016-2017 Religious Education
- The deadline for Religious Education Fall registration is July 31. We appreciate your cooperation in getting those registration forms in on time. Children entering Grade 1 in the fall should be registered for Religious Education.
- FIRST COMMUNION & CONFIRMATION are two year programs. Please send in copies of Baptismal Certificates if student was not baptized at St. Eugene.
- CONFIRMATION II Catholic high school students entering Grade 10 in September are required to register for Confirmation. Registration forms can be picked up at the church entrance. Registration forms, for the 2015-16 school year, were mailed home. If you did not receive your forms or know of a family that needs forms please contact us by phone or email. Please return registration forms even if your child is going to be attending a Catholic school. Remember to include your e-mail address.
- With your January-February Budget Packet is a special envelope called “Initial Offering”. These fund help defray the considerable cost of producing and mailing the budget envelopes every two months. The suggested offering of $10 can be placed in the collection basket anytime this month, or sent to the rectory office. And we thank you for this extra boost!
MOTHER OF HOPE CAMP - Looking for a fun activity for your children as they begin the summer? Look no further! Mother of Hope Camp has provided safe, fun and activity filled summers to thousands of children for more than 60 years. Children ages 5 through 12 are invited to register for this day camp located on the shores of beautiful Echo Lake in nearby Chepachet. Bus transportation to and from many neighborhoods throughout RI is included in the affordable tuition. Traditional summer camp activities such as swimming, sports, arts and crafts, weekly Mass, making friends, and so much more are available to Mother of Hope campers. call 568-3580.
Faith and Good Works Have you given prayerful consideration to your gift for the 2016 Catholic Charity Appeal? Won't you help us by being the "Hands of Christ" in supporting the people and the work of the Diocese of Providence? Many of you have responded to the Catholic Charity Appeal mailing from Bishop Tobin. On behalf of those served by the ministries and services funded by the Catholic Charity Appeal, we thank you for your gifts. If you have not made a gift to this year's Appeal, you will be able to do so through our in-pew solicitation which will take place on the weekends of February 20/21 and February 27/28. Our parish goal is to attain 100% participation - a goal that can only be reached with your sacrificial help and support. All gifts, regardless of size, help to make a difference in the lives of so many individuals.
- INITIAL OFFERING
St. Eugene Church is now using a new service called Parish Giving that will allow parishioners to have their weekly contributions deducted from their checking account or credit card. The link is: www.sainteugeneschurch.com/parish-giving/
- - Tues. June 28 7:30 PM Kof C (Hall)
- - Wed. June 29 8:00 PM AA Meeting (Hall
- Thurs. June 30 Benedication & Prayer Service
- -Fri. July 1 4:30 PM Cruise night (Car show)
- -Wed. July 6 7:00 PM Bible Class
- -8:00 PM AA Meeting (Hall
- -Thurs. July 7 Benediction & Prayer Service
- -Fri. July 8 4:30 PM Cruise night (Car show)
- Bible Study Group Deacon Brian will be leading a bible study group on Wednesdays from 7 to 8 PM in the class room at the back of the church main floor. All are welcome.
Annual Golf Tournament
- Our 7th Annual Golf Tournament will be held on Sunday, August 7, 2016, at the Foster Country Club. 2:30PM shot gun start, scramble format. $100.00 per golfer includes… 18 holes of golf, cart, prizes and dinner immediately following. For more information or to sign up to participate, you may call Bridget Gieseke at 567-0469 or Brian Benson 397-7750.
It’s hard to believe that the summer season is already upon us but it is most certainly welcomed. As the great American author, Henry James, said: “Summer afternoon – summer afternoon; to me those have always been the two most beautiful words in the English language.”...(Read more)
Join Our Parish
Welcome to St. Eugene Parish, a Roman Catholic community committed to the Gospels. Please call the parish rectory at (401) 568-5102 to register with the parish or to receive budgets. If you are moving out of the parish, please call us so we may update our records. If you have a question for the pastor, please call Father Varghese at the rectory or see him after any Mass.
Register by downloading a parish registration form. Completed registration forms (click here) can be returned by mail, brought to the parish office, or dropped in the collection basket at any weekend mass.