Welcome to the parish website for St. Eugene’s Church. “The Church of Saint Eugene is a community of believers seeking to grow in the faith of Jesus Christ through His Eucharist and by the teachings of the Roman Catholic Church. The Church of Saint Eugene welcomes all God’s people through liturgy, sacraments, outreach to our neighbors in need, and by following the example of Jesus Christ. Through works and actions we strive to meet the spiritual, physical and temporal needs of all generations, especially our young. By encouraging one another, we grow in faith and we demonstrate our life in the Holy Trinity by sharing the Good News of Jesus and by being an active voice in our society. With God’s help, we remain a community united in Faith, Hope and Charity.” Please visit these pages to learn more about our vibrant faith community!
Photo Gallery (Click any item to open)
We are looking for our forgotten parishioners. Those who are unable to come to church due to illness, age, and/or lack of transportation. Is there someone you haven’t seen in church in a while? Someone who lives alone and has no family. If you know of anyone who would enjoy having communion brought to them, please let us know. These parishioners once were a vital part of St. Eugene Parish, let us not forget them in their time of need. Who knows… this small gesture may be the only contact they have with the outside world.
Faith is living and dynamic: if not fed, it grows weak; if not practiced, it grows rusty; if not shared, it grows cold; if not lived, it dies.
Holy Days of Obligation 2020
(Not obligatory if not listed)
Jan 1 Solemnity of Mary
May 21 Ascension Thursday
Nov 1 All Saints Day
Dec 8 Immaculate Conception
Dec 25 Christmas Day
Friday Night “Breadline” – Anyone wishing to donate money towards food purchased for the Friday Night Breadline, held at the Cathedral in Providence by volunteers of St. Eugene, may do so by sending their cash or check in an envelope in the collection basket at mass or drop it off at the rectory. Checks must be made payable to “St. Eugene Church”, please note either on the bottom of the check or by a note in the envelope “BREADLINE”. Thank you for your generosity to the poor. “There but through the grace of God go I.”
Mass Intention Book Open
The 2020 Mass intention book is now open to schedule Mass intentions or the Sanctuary Lamp. Our secretary is available to do this Monday through Friday 9:00 AM to 3:00 PM. The Stipend for the Mass is payable at the time of scheduling or cannot be reserved. If you want particular dates, now is the time to do it. The stipend schedule established by the Bishop is as follows: • Weekday Mass $10.00 • Weekend Masses and Holyday Masses $25.00 • 14 Day Sanctuary Lamp $10.00
Our young people are enrolled with many devoted catechists volunteering their time and talent to help form future generations of believers. I want to express my profound appreciation to these parishioners for giving up their time and devoting their energy teaching the young. Our Lord warned adults not to prevent the children from coming to Him, for such as these does the Kingdom of God belong. Parents are, above all, the first and most important teachers of religion and we who teach and preach can only build on the foundation provided by parents.
In addition to bringing their children to religion classes, parents are encouraged to attend Sunday Mass with their children; for the faith to be experienced it must be enlivened spiritually with the grace of the Sacraments, especially the sharing of God’s Word and His Body and Blood, gifts given to us at each and every Mass. It is the house, that is, the life, built on the solid rock of faith rather than the shifting sands of ease and comfort that sustains in time of trial and difficulty; that trials and difficulties come is without question—that we can be sustained in the face of these depends on how well we have built, have practiced, have nurtured our faith, particularly with the living Body and Blood of Christ, the Eucharist, each and every Sunday. Faith is living and dynamic: if not fed, it grows weak; if not practiced, it grows rusty; if not shared, it grows cold; if not lived, it dies.
JOIN OUR PARISH
Welcome to St. Eugene Parish, a Roman Catholic community committed to the Gospels. Please call the parish rectory at (401) 568-5102 to register with the parish or to receive budgets. If you are moving out of the parish, please call us so we may update our records. If you have a question for the pastor, please call Father Stephen J. Dandeneau at the rectory or see him after any Mass.
Register by downloading a parish registration form. Completed registration forms can be returned by mail, brought to the parish office, or dropped in the collection basket at any weekend mass.
This week I submit to you a Novena to St. Jude and an article (insert) that I hope you will find interesting.
- * St. Vincent dePaul – Meets 2nd Wednesday of the month Sept thru June at 6pm in the church hall. Next meeting– Wed. March 11, 2020
- * Pasta Dinner – Informational Meeting – Saturday Feb 22nd @ 10am in the church Hall. Anyone wishing to help with this event please attend. Pasta Dinner scheduled for Sat. April 25th
- * Parish Feast Meeting Monday Feb 27th @ 6:30pm in the church hall.
- * Steubenville East – Student /Parent Informational Meeting Sun. March 1st at 5pm in the church hall. This meeting is for students and parents Gr 8 – 12.
- * Parish Mission – March 21st – 25th
- * Parish Bus Trip – Sat. May 9th
- * Yard Sale – Sat. June 6th (rain date June 13th) 1st meeting March 31st @6:30pm in the church hall
Regular Weekly and Monthly Meetings
- * Bible Study Group— “Spirituality of the Gospels” meets at 10 AM in the church hall
- – CCD – All classes will now be held on Sundays Gr K-5 — 8:45am – 9:50am Gr 6-10 — 11:15am – 12:30pm
- – Every Wednesday- 6:30-7:30pm Confessions in the church with exposition of the Eucharist.
- – Legion of Mary – meetings are held on Thursday evenings at 6:30 PM. We hope to see you there.
- – Youth Group meets every Saturday evening at 7:00 PM in the church hall.
- – Knights of Columbus meet on the Second and fourth Thursdays of every month at 7:30 PM
- – 4th Degree Knights of Columbus– Meets 3rd Tuesday of the month @7:30pm in the church hall
- – New Freedom (formerly AA) meets every Wednesday 8 PM in the church hall
- – St. Vincent dePaul Society meets 2nd Wednesday of the month: Sept – June at 6pm in the church hall.
- – Eucharistic Adoration Every Friday from 8am to Noon (Right after 7:30am morning mass)
February 23rd – Ice Skating at the Providence Ice Rink 2pm-6pm
March — “Escape Room”
April – Boston Museum of Science
May – Parish “Trip to the Bronx Zoo”
July— Steubenville East at URI
Oct– Scarecrow Contest
Youth Group Meets Saturday Evenings at 7pm. Students in Grades 8-12 are welcome to join. Come and enjoy some time with friends. (Students who have already made their Confirmation are invited back to join us!)
FIRST COMMUNION & CONFIRMATION are two year programs. Please send in copies of Baptismal Certificates if student was not baptized at St. Eugene. Confirmation candidates should have a sponsor chosen prior to the start of classes.
Registration forms for Religious Education have been prepared and mailed. If you are new to the parish or have children who are now of an age to attend classes, please call rectory 568-5102 so that your family can be sent a registration form.
Registration Forms are available for download by clicking the Rel Ed menu option above then clicking Forms