Welcome to the parish website for St. Eugene’s Church. “The Church of Saint Eugene is a community of believers seeking to grow in the faith of Jesus Christ through His Eucharist and by the teachings of the Roman Catholic Church. The Church of Saint Eugene welcomes all God’s people through liturgy, sacraments, outreach to our neighbors in need, and by following the example of Jesus Christ. Through works and actions we strive to meet the spiritual, physical and temporal needs of all generations, especially our young. By encouraging one another, we grow in faith and we demonstrate our life in the Holy Trinity by sharing the Good News of Jesus and by being an active voice in our society. With God’s help, we remain a community united in Faith, Hope and Charity.” Please visit these pages to learn more about our vibrant faith community!
Photo Gallery (Click any item to open)
Prayer Garden “Stations of the Cross”
If you have been wondering what is going on behind our prayer garden, we are pleased to announce that we are installing a path along the stone wall that will house our newest addition to the Prayer Garden, the Stations of the Cross. Parishioner Roger Robert has been busy constructing not only the posts and wooden shelters that will hold the stations, but has also painstakingly graded a walkway which will allow visitors to safely walk the Way of the Cross. Our hope is to add some cement benches along the walkway for anyone wishing to sit and meditate while making this devotion. Mr. Robert has donated his time, talent, and equipment to this project, while working on some of the hottest days of this summer season. If you see him, please take a moment to thank him not only for his work, but for his dedication to this project. Anyone wishing to contribute to the cost of a bench or wishing to adopt a station as a memorial, please see Fr. Dandeneau for more information.
July 26, 2021
I hope that as you carry out your plans for this summer that you and your children are enjoying some rest, recreation, and other opportunities as well as staying safe amidst all of the challenges we have been facing.
As you know, the academic school year 2021-2022 is just around the corner. So I am writing you this letter to request that each family whose child or children intend to enroll in our parish religious education program for this upcoming school year complete and submit the enclosed registration form and tuition by August 20th. Please note that even if your child/children has/have registered for the Confirmation program in the past, every student who wishes to enroll must complete a new registration form this year. A copy of the Religious Education Registration Form is enclosed in this letter and is also available for download on our parish website: www.sainteugeneschurch.org for your convenience.
Please also note a few practical considerations regarding the policies of the combined St. Eugene Church and St. Joseph Church Religious Education Program this year:
- The successful completion of each Religious Education Grade level from Grade 1-Grade 8 or attending a Catholic school for these grades is a prerequisite for admission to the Confirmation Program (students who have not successfully completed Grades 1-8 Religious Education or attended a Catholic school for these grades will not be admitted to the Confirmation Program).
- Saint Eugene Church and Saint Joseph Church faithfully adhere to all of the standards, values, and doctrines of the Catholic faith without compromise. Consequently, the Saint Eugene and Saint Joseph Church Religious Education Program is only for those who are ready to commit to practicing the Catholic faith as instructed by the Catholic Church. The appropriate practice of the Catholic faith is a necessary part of receiving instruction in the Catholic faith. Consequently, the expectation is that students and their families will make a wholehearted commitment to practicing their faith by:
- Attending Saturday evening or Sunday Mass every week and on Holy Days of Obligation
- Doing one’s best to believe in and follow all of the teachings of the Church without compromise (including its teachings about chastity)
- Faithfully receiving/practicing the sacrament of Reconciliation/Confession when it is appropriate (not necessarily at St. Eugene Church or St. Joseph Church)
- Attendance at Sunday Mass each week and on Holy Days of Obligation (January 1, Ascension Thursday [six weeks after Easter], August 15, November 1, and December 8) even when school and Religious Education are not in session (including during the summer) is required for the successful completion of each Religious Education Program grade level. Excuses will not be accepted except in the case of an emergency or dire circumstances. If you plan to travel and are uncertain about where there will be a Catholic Mass for the weekend or a Holy Day of Obligation, please refer to www.masstimes.org. This website lists service information about Catholic Churches throughout the world.
- Students of every Religious Education Program grade level are now required to sign an attendance sheet for Mass. If a student does not attend Mass either at St. Eugene Church or St. Joseph Church on a given occasion, he/she is asked to obtain a bulletin from the Church where they did attend Mass, have it signed by the priest who celebrated the Mass, and submit it to his/her religious education teacher.
- Religious Education for Grades 6, 7, and 8 will be held as one class and will be livestreamed through Facebook. Due to ongoing concerns regarding the pandemic, “in-person” attendance versus electronic attendance online is at the discretion of each family which has a student in one of these grades.
- The subject material of Religious Education for Grades 6, 7, and 8 will be presented through 3-year cycle and will overview the basic teachings of the Catholic faith. This will cover the material on the test required for admission to the Confirmation Program.
- The Confirmation Program has changed. The three main objectives of the Confirmation Program are now: 1) To provide the student with a basic knowledge and understanding of the sacrament they are about to receive; 2) To help prepare them as completely as possible to receive it; and 3) To ensure their commitment to practicing the faith. Consequently, the requirements of the Confirmation Program are as follows:
- Attending Mass every Saturday evening or Sunday and on Holy Days of Obligation
- Doing one’s best to believe in and follow all of the teachings of the Church (including its teachings about chastity), to have a consistent and substantial prayer life, and to be involved in the life of the parish
- Faithfully receiving/practicing the sacrament of Confession/Reconciliation when appropriate (not necessarily at St. Eugene or St. Joseph Church
- If I can help you in any way or if you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to contact me at your convenience at (401) 568-5102 or firstname.lastname@example.org
if you are a member of St. Eugene Church. If you are a member of St. Joseph Church please call ( 401) 568-2411 or email@example.com.
May God bless you and your loved ones with a wonderful rest of your summer! I look forward to seeing all of you this upcoming school year.
Reverend Stephen J. Dandeneau
Please note that we are changing our weekend mass time schedule. As of Saturday, July 3, 2021
St. Eugene will no longer offer a Saturday 4p.m. mass. 4p.m. mass will be offered at St. Joseph Church on Sayles Ave., in Pascoag, RI.
As of Monday, July 5, 2021 weekday morning mass will change to 7:45a.m. Saturday morning mass will remain at 8:30 a.m.
Thank you for your patience as we make these adjustments to our schedule.
Faith is living and dynamic: if not fed, it grows weak; if not practiced, it grows rusty; if not shared, it grows cold; if not lived, it dies.
1st Friday Devotion to the Sacred Heart of Jesus and
1st Saturday Devotion to the Immaculate Heart of Mary are held every month. Please see the schedule below for dates and time.
1ST Friday 1st Saturday
7:30 am 8:30 am
Aug 6th Aug 7th
Sept 3rd Sept 4th Oct 1st Oct 2nd
Nov 5th Nov 6th Dec 3rd Dec 4th
Holy Days of Obligation 2021
*Aug 15 Assumption of Mary
(Not Obligatory 2021)
*Nov 1 All Saints Day
(Not Obligatory 2021)
Dec 8 Immaculate Conception
Dec 25 Christmas Day
Mass Intention Book Open
The 2021 Mass intention book is now open to schedule Mass intentions or the Sanctuary Lamp. Our secretary is available to do this Monday through Friday 9:00 AM to 3:00 PM. The Stipend for the Mass is payable at the time of scheduling or cannot be reserved. If you want particular dates, now is the time to do it. The stipend schedule established by the Bishop is as follows: • Weekday Mass $10.00 • Weekend Masses and Holyday Masses $25.00 • 14 Day Sanctuary Lamp $10.00
Our young people are enrolled with many devoted catechists volunteering their time and talent to help form future generations of believers. I want to express my profound appreciation to these parishioners for giving up their time and devoting their energy teaching the young. Our Lord warned adults not to prevent the children from coming to Him, for such as these does the Kingdom of God belong. Parents are, above all, the first and most important teachers of religion and we who teach and preach can only build on the foundation provided by parents.
In addition to bringing their children to religion classes, parents are encouraged to attend Sunday Mass with their children; for the faith to be experienced it must be enlivened spiritually with the grace of the Sacraments, especially the sharing of God’s Word and His Body and Blood, gifts given to us at each and every Mass. It is the house, that is, the life, built on the solid rock of faith rather than the shifting sands of ease and comfort that sustains in time of trial and difficulty; that trials and difficulties come is without question—that we can be sustained in the face of these depends on how well we have built, have practiced, have nurtured our faith, particularly with the living Body and Blood of Christ, the Eucharist, each and every Sunday. Faith is living and dynamic: if not fed, it grows weak; if not practiced, it grows rusty; if not shared, it grows cold; if not lived, it dies.
JOIN OUR PARISH
Welcome to St. Eugene Parish, a Roman Catholic community committed to the Gospels. Please call the parish rectory at (401) 568-5102 to register with the parish or to receive budgets. If you are moving out of the parish, please call us so we may update our records. If you have a question for the pastor, please call Father Stephen J. Dandeneau at the rectory or see him after any Mass.
Register by downloading a parish registration form. Completed registration forms can be returned by mail, brought to the parish office, or dropped in the collection basket at any weekend mass.
We will hold our “Education, Fellowship and Prayer” service here at St. Eugene Church. (Read more)
20 Week Club Winners
Week 1 $40 Scott Boudreau
Week 2 $40 Denise Kinsley
Week 3 $40 Kevin Tracey
Week 4 $40 William Hamill
Week 5 $40 Carrie Schwartz
Week 6 $40 Arianna Hamill
Week 7 $40 Claire Copley
Week 8 $40 Donna Fontenault
Week 9 $40 Roy Lorange
Week 10 $40 Catherine Hamill
Week 11 $40 Patricia Desmarais
Week 12 $40 Barbara Laberge
Week 13 $40 Rita Scotto
Week 14 $40 David Palmisciano
It’s not too late to join. This year there will be 20 weekly drawings for $40 and grand prize drawings for $1500, $500, $100, $100 and a CVS Gift Card for $100. There will be no dinner as in the past due to the pandemic. Blank forms are available at the entrance to the church. You can also download the form from our website or by contacting the rectory. The 20 Week Club is an important fundraiser for our parish. Your continued support is great appreciated. (click here to download a sign-up form)
St. Vincent dePaul-Meets 2nd Wednesday of the month
Next Meeting – Oct. 12, 2021
Patricia Lawrence, SDVP President at < firstname.lastname@example.org>
Youth Group EVENTS Are On Hold
Our prayer garden is open for anyone who is looking for a quiet spot to pray and meditate. Presently we have a small group who say the “Chaplet of Divine Mercy” every day at 3pm.
Please feel free to come and join them.
Regular Weekly and Monthly Meetings:
Every Tuesday- 6:30pm Legion of Mary W/Rosary in the church rectory
Every Wednesday- 8pm New Freedom In the church hall
Every Wednesday- 6:30-7:30pm Confessions in the church with exposition of the Eucharist.
Knights of Columbus- Meets 2nd & 4th Thursdays @ 7:30pm in the church hall
4th Degree Knights of Columbus- Meets 3rd Tuesday of the month @7:30pm in the church hall
Youth Group EVENTS Are On Hold
Students in Grades 8-12 are welcome to join. Come and enjoy some time with friends. (Students who have already made their Confirmation are invited back to join us!)
All classes are now held on Sundays
Gr K-5 — 8:45am – 9:50am
Gr 6-10 — 11:15am – 12:30pm
CCD CLASSES WILL RESUME ON SEPTEMBER 26th
CCD registration forms have been mailed, please return registrations by August 20th to the rectory. Please call the rectory if you have not received your registration forms or if you are new to the parish.
FIRST COMMUNION & CONFIRMATION are two year programs. Please send in copies of Baptismal Certificates if student was not baptized at St. Eugene. Confirmation candidates should have a sponsor chosen prior to the start of classes.
Registration forms for Religious Education have been prepared and mailed. If you are new to the parish or have children who are now of an age to attend classes, please call rectory 568-5102 so that your family can be sent a registration form.
Registration Forms are available for download by clicking the Rel Ed menu option above then clicking Forms