News & Events
July 26, 2021
I hope that as you carry out your plans for this summer that you and your children are enjoying some rest, recreation, and other opportunities as well as staying safe amidst all of the challenges we have been facing.
As you know, the academic school year 2021-2022 is just around the corner. So I am writing you this letter to request that each family whose child or children intend to enroll in our parish religious education program for this upcoming school year complete and submit the enclosed registration form and tuition by August 20th. Please note that even if your child/children has/have registered for the Confirmation program in the past, every student who wishes to enroll must complete a new registration form this year. A copy of the Religious Education Registration Form is enclosed in this letter and is also available for download on our parish website: www.sainteugeneschurch.org for your convenience.
Please also note a few practical considerations regarding the policies of the combined St. Eugene Church and St. Joseph Church Religious Education Program this year:
- The successful completion of each Religious Education Grade level from Grade 1-Grade 8 or attending a Catholic school for these grades is a prerequisite for admission to the Confirmation Program (students who have not successfully completed Grades 1-8 Religious Education or attended a Catholic school for these grades will not be admitted to the Confirmation Program).
- Saint Eugene Church and Saint Joseph Church faithfully adhere to all of the standards, values, and doctrines of the Catholic faith without compromise. Consequently, the Saint Eugene and Saint Joseph Church Religious Education Program is only for those who are ready to commit to practicing the Catholic faith as instructed by the Catholic Church. The appropriate practice of the Catholic faith is a necessary part of receiving instruction in the Catholic faith. Consequently, the expectation is that students and their families will make a wholehearted commitment to practicing their faith by:
- Attending Saturday evening or Sunday Mass every week and on Holy Days of Obligation
- Doing one’s best to believe in and follow all of the teachings of the Church without compromise (including its teachings about chastity)
- Faithfully receiving/practicing the sacrament of Reconciliation/Confession when it is appropriate (not necessarily at St. Eugene Church or St. Joseph Church)
- Attendance at Sunday Mass each week and on Holy Days of Obligation (January 1, Ascension Thursday [six weeks after Easter], August 15, November 1, and December 8) even when school and Religious Education are not in session (including during the summer) is required for the successful completion of each Religious Education Program grade level. Excuses will not be accepted except in the case of an emergency or dire circumstances. If you plan to travel and are uncertain about where there will be a Catholic Mass for the weekend or a Holy Day of Obligation, please refer to www.masstimes.org. This website lists service information about Catholic Churches throughout the world.
- Students of every Religious Education Program grade level are now required to sign an attendance sheet for Mass. If a student does not attend Mass either at St. Eugene Church or St. Joseph Church on a given occasion, he/she is asked to obtain a bulletin from the Church where they did attend Mass, have it signed by the priest who celebrated the Mass, and submit it to his/her religious education teacher.
- Religious Education for Grades 6, 7, and 8 will be held as one class and will be livestreamed through Facebook. Due to ongoing concerns regarding the pandemic, “in-person” attendance versus electronic attendance online is at the discretion of each family which has a student in one of these grades.
- The subject material of Religious Education for Grades 6, 7, and 8 will be presented through 3-year cycle and will overview the basic teachings of the Catholic faith. This will cover the material on the test required for admission to the Confirmation Program.
- The Confirmation Program has changed. The three main objectives of the Confirmation Program are now: 1) To provide the student with a basic knowledge and understanding of the sacrament they are about to receive; 2) To help prepare them as completely as possible to receive it; and 3) To ensure their commitment to practicing the faith. Consequently, the requirements of the Confirmation Program are as follows:
- Attending Mass every Saturday evening or Sunday and on Holy Days of Obligation
- Doing one’s best to believe in and follow all of the teachings of the Church (including its teachings about chastity), to have a consistent and substantial prayer life, and to be involved in the life of the parish
- Faithfully receiving/practicing the sacrament of Confession/Reconciliation when appropriate (not necessarily at St. Eugene or St. Joseph Church
- If I can help you in any way or if you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to contact me at your convenience at (401) 568-5102 or email@example.com
if you are a member of St. Eugene Church. If you are a member of St. Joseph Church please call ( 401) 568-2411 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
May God bless you and your loved ones with a wonderful rest of your summer! I look forward to seeing all of you this upcoming school year.
Reverend Stephen J. Dandeneau
Please note that we are changing our weekend mass time schedule. As of Saturday, July 3, 2021
St. Eugene will no longer offer a Saturday 4p.m. mass. 4p.m. mass will be offered at St. Joseph Church on Sayles Ave., in Pascoag, RI.
As of Monday, July 5, 2021 weekday morning mass will change to 7:45a.m. Saturday morning mass will remain at 8:30 a.m.
Thank you for your patience as we make these adjustments to our schedule.
Our Blessed Mother needs your help. Please consider joining our Legion of Mary meetings. Thus far we have had eight Legion of Mary meetings. Our meetings are held on Thursday evenings at 6:30pm in the church hall classroom. Please come to see if the Lord is calling you to support our parish will your talents, prayers, and presence through this ministry. If you have any questions, please contact Alice at 401-722-6388.
Pastor TJ Varghese. We wish him well in all that the future brings. He is loved and will be missed!
Thank you so very much for the great send off last weekend. I am grateful for your support during my pastorate and for your tremendous witness of faith, hope and love over the years.
I thank you for the many kind words, best wishes, thoughtful cards and generous gifts. I wish to thank all those who helped with the reception, especially Helen Suess, Marie Robidoux, Deanna DiSalvo and Odete McMahon, so I could say “Farewell” after the 10:15AM Mass. It was a wonderful time and I am so happy I was able to say goodbye to so many great people. I was so very pleased to celebrate my final Mass at St. Eugene’s with such a great group of Altar Servers and the music by our choir was superb as usual.
For anyone who has helped and supported the parish in any way and for all those who have been so very kind and supportive to me personally, I say thank you. I truly give thanks to God for all of you and also thanks for sending me to this incredible place we call St. Eugene. My first pastorate has been a great blessing in my life and I wish God’s continued blessings upon all of you and this parish. God Speed! Farewell my friends!
Eucharistic Adoration Wednesday Nights – 6:30pm-7:30 pm (Confession is available)
May 15 $ 2247.00 (Env 56)
E-Giving $ 1029.44
**Each week, our parish requires a minimum Total Operating Revenue of $3,600.00 to meet our budgeted expenses.
If you miss Mass for any reason, we kindly ask you to remember the needs of our community. Thank you for your generosity.
**Please note that In Pew Collections have resumed. You may drop your budgets in the basket at mass as done in the past. Thank you for your support!
St. Vincent dePaul
St. Vincent dePaul– Meets 2nd TUESDAY of the month September thru July at 6pm in the church hall. Old and New Friends are welcome! Come see what St. Vincent DePaul is about and what we do. Next Meeting – June 14, 2022
Youth Group EVENTS Are On Hold
Stations of the Cross – Fridays 6:30 PM
Our prayer garden is open for anyone who is looking for a quiet spot to pray and meditate. Presently we have a small group who say the “Chaplet of Divine Mercy” every day at 3pm.
Please feel free to come and join them.
Weekly and Monthly Meetings:
Every Monday- 6:45 pm Legion of Mary W/Rosary in the church rectory
Every Wednesday- 8pm New Freedom In the church hall
Every Wednesday- 6:30-7:30pm Confessions in the church with exposition of the Eucharist.
Knights of Columbus- Meets 2nd & 4th Thursdays @ 7:30pm in the church hall
4th Degree Knights of Columbus- Meets 3rd Tuesday of the month @7:30pm in the church hall
Youth Group EVENTS Are On Hold
Students in Grades 8-12 are welcome to join. Come and enjoy some time with friends. (Students who have already made their Confirmation are invited back to join us!)
All classes are now held on Sundays
Gr K-5 — 8:45am – 9:50am
Gr 6-10 — 11:15am – 12:30pm
FIRST COMMUNION & CONFIRMATION are two year programs. Please send in copies of Baptismal Certificates if student was not baptized at St. Eugene. Confirmation candidates should have a sponsor chosen prior to the start of classes.
Registration forms for Religious Education have been prepared and mailed. If you are new to the parish or have children who are now of an age to attend classes, please call rectory 568-5102 so that your family can be sent a registration form.
Registration Forms are available for download by clicking the Rel Ed menu option above then clicking Forms